The main part of Water Icicle itself can be entered with no problem and no prior permission is required as long as people don't take vehicles up the track.
However, wardened trips into the New Extensions are not possible at present. This because there is no air movement in this part of the system and hence there is an enhanced risk of virus transmission.
WARNING! Bad air has been reported in this system, please contact DCA Conservation officer for up to date situation. No known access restrictions to the mine, however Derby Lane now has a traffic regulation order (TRO) that prohibits use by mechanically propelled vehicles, this order extends from Summerhill Farm to Long Rake Road (top of track).
Cavers who need to drive up Derby Lane should email in advance to the Peak Park's Sue Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will then email them a permit to be displayed in the car windscreen.
Cavers need to provide name, vehicle details (colour and make) and the date or dates on which the exemption is required so that no enforcement action is taken against them.
Cavers who are content to walk up the lane are asked not to park their vehicles on the Lane below Summerhill Farm as it is narrow here and this could interfere with farm traffic. Vehicles will need to be parked in one of the car parks in Monyash Village. Entrance cap visible half way across field to east, in direction of line of trees. Leave lid secure at all times. Ensure that field gate is left secure at all times.
Northwest Passage 2010 Extensions In order to protect the very delicate sediments and formations in the new extensions to Water Icicle Close Cavern, special access arrangements are in operation, please visit the Orpheus Caving Club website at www.orpheuscavingclub.org.uk or e-mail email@example.com for up to date information.
High levels of carbon dioxide have been encountered on occasions.
- Brooks, S. (2014), Decent No. 240., p.8. .
- Lord, P.J. (1971), S.U.S.S. Jour. Vol.2. No.1., pp.27-28., Sheffield University Speleological Society.
- Lord, P.J. & Batey, A. (1970), S.U.S.S. Jour. Vol.1. No.6., pp.247-248., Sheffield University Speleological Society.
- Phipps, M. (1981), The Lyre. No.5., pp.12-13., Orpheus Caving Club.
- Smith, M.E. (1968), Bull. P.D.M.H.S. Vol.3. No.5, pp.281-284. Survey., Peak District Mines Historical Society.
- Walker, P. (2012), Descent No. 227., p.17, Wild Places Publishing.
- Westlake, C.D. (1970), E.P.C. Jour. Vol.7. No.3., pp.57-58. Survey., Eldon Pothole Club.